Research, Science and Innovation Minister Megan Woods has announced eight new appointments to the boards of five Crown Research Institutes (CRIs).
The percentage of women on these boards has increased from 35.4% to 44.7%.
The new board members are:
- Rukumoana Schaafhausen as a Director of AgResearch (with Dr Paul Reynolds temporarily acting as the Chair)
- Kate Thomson as a Director of the Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR)
- Felicity Evans as a Director of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS)
- Barry Harris as Chair, and Mary-Anne Macleod and Dr Tracey Batten as Directors, of the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
- Dr Parmjot Bains and Wendy Venter as Directors of the NZ Institute for Plant & Food Research.
New member bios
Deputy Chair, Dr Paul Reynolds will act as Chair until the appointment process for a new Chair is completed.
Mrs Rukumoana Schaafhausen has been appointed as a Director. She is Chair of Waikato-Tainui Te Kauhanganui Incorporated and a previous Director of Genesis Energy.
Institute of Environmental Science and Research
Ms Kate Thomson has been appointed as a Director. She is the Chief Financial Officer of the Australian Road Research Board and a previous Chief Financial Officer of NIWA.
Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences
Ms Felicity Evans has been appointed as a Director. She is General Manager, Human Resources, at the ANZ Bank, and serves on the Board of Global Women and is a past trustee of the Equal Employment Opportunities Trust.
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research
Mr Barry Harris has been appointed as the Chair. He is the Chair of the Waikato Institute of Technology and OSPRI, a director of DairyNZ and a previous Deputy Chair of AgResearch.
Ms Mary-Anne Macleod and Dr Tracey Batten have been appointed as Directors. Ms Macleod is the outgoing Chief Executive of Bay of Plenty Regional Council and was a senior manager at the Ministry for the Environment. Dr Batten is a professional director who currently serves on the Boards of Medibank in Australia and Abano Health Care in New Zealand.
New Zealand Institute for Plant & Food Research
Dr Parmjot Bains and Ms Wendy Venter have been appointed as Directors. Dr Bains is the Senior Director of Global Access for Pfizer Inc and a previous Advisor and Senior Fellow of The George Institute of Global Health. Ms Venter is a previous Assistant Auditor-General and partner of EY.